Well, we had to wait until today (Monday) to deliver the cabinets because of rain, but they are gone. It’s time to shovel out my shop and move on. Bubinga to rub out, get delivered and tour Good Hope Hardwoods. Photos at the end of the blog.
Got an email asking how we dealt with the expansion and contraction on the doors with the “Z” battens.
Simple….use a washer headed screw. I used McFeely’s Round Washer Head. I drilled a 1/4″ hole in the batten. I always drill a larger hole in the piece I’m attaching, makes the screw pull or pinch tighter and will allow for movement. I left the screws proud. I wanted the black iron look.
I also often use a slotted hole, movement in these doors will be minimal. The wood is well seasoned and finished all sides. I even sprayed the underside and all the plywood surfaces, just in case. All the wood is sealed down. I don’t like taking chances and I have never had any issues with wood movement. It just works.
These cabinets will be hung using a French Cleat. This is simply a strip attached to the back of the cabinet unit with a 45 degree edge and the mate that is attached to the wall. Put the wall section on, level and hang the cabinet….that’s it.
I asked David Fisher of Fisher Forge to make me two pair of brass Rat Tail Hinges for our upcoming hanging corner cabinet project. I wanted something special. Man….I really like these. David does super nice work.
I hope everyone enjoyed the cabinet build along and perhaps saw something you liked. I want to address another email, I was asked if I really use the Painter’s Pyramids So I snapped a picture. Yep, I do. All these pieces and parts, saved a ton of time.
Okay, the finish on the cabinets. I used Gemini Coatings S1150-1 Autumn Oak Stain. I used Zinsser Seal Coat at a one pound cut as the barrier or wash coat. Then a pre-cat lacquer in a flat sheen. Bartley Gel StainChestnut is about a dead ringer for the color. A quick note here. I don’t use a lot of shellac under a pre-cat or a post-cat finish, but a light thin coat as was, used here where its primarily absorbed is fine. I have never had an issue but I wouldn’t use it heavy under it, there could possibly be a durability issue. I’ve never seen it happen but just in case…don’t do it.
I could have also used a lacquer wash coat thinned down about 50% to 75% (a lot). It also works well but as always, a wash coat has to be experimented with to get the proper ratio. Too heavy and the stain won’t take, to light and it will blotch.
I also wiped the stain and sprayed a very thin coat of lacquer then I lightly dusted them with stain thinned about 25%. I turned the air pressure up and used a 1.0 nozzle to get a fine mist. Got nice even color, grain isn’t distorted….did well.
Weekly Contest – September 29, 2008 to October 6, 2008
Lot’s of participation in our Weekly Contest. The winner of Week #1 is David Harms of Katy, TX. David will receive from Woodcraft Supply some George’s Club House Wax!
To enter this weeks contest (ends Monday, October 6, 2008) just join our Our Woodworking Forum and post in the thread “Painter’s Pyramids” how you might use the painter’s pyramid, there are thousands of ideas out there! Each post gets you an entry into the Weekly Drawing.
Stay tuned, new prizes and sponsors each week.
Gonna have some coffee and get started cleaning some….well….maybe. Doing nothing is feeling nice right now.
One last thought, If any of you would like to come to my workshop and build one of our projects with me, let me know. I’m always open for that. (Especially if you are not allergic to brooms. LOL!) Work fascinates me….I can watch ya do it all day!
Catch Ya Later!