Well, I got the pine plywood for the cabinets…what a mess!…I dug through piles. I was looking at the stuff and found three basic grades and the tongue and groove flooring was not only the cheapest but was the most consistent in thickness and after sorting through all the grades, that’s what I settled on. When I pulled sheets from the piles (all three grades) it was all like spaghetti, twisted, warping, didn’t matter what grade. They had some of that imported stuff, looked good, lots of plys, but…the veneer on it was about like tissue paper and some time back I built the grand-girls a set of loft beds and desks which were painted. I used some of that stuff, when I cut it some of it just blew apart. I mean plys separating and pinching and binding on the saw. It was a mess. I was talking to Big Bob and he stated that he had the same experience.
So. I got the 3/4 T & G flooring with one good side, brought it back and stacked and stickered it. Will let it dry a couple of days. Got some weight on it and a fan. Experience has taught me it will settle in. When this stuff is made, they fly through the factory, drying isn’t only so-so, this stuff measured 12% on a moisture meter. The higher dollar stuff was hitting 14%. So sticker it flat, let it dry a bit and it will do. Letting some air get to it will help a lot, it will drop 3% or 4% in 24 hours if you sticker it. It is now at 9%. The other reason for the flooring is it has a nice thick outer veneer, something I can sand and do a little hand planing on as these cabinets are to be rustic.
I got another coat on the finishing stuff, the tops and headboard stuff will get another today. Had to get some things ready to ship and did some computer things so today I got my friend Jim Getz (possum cop on youtube) coming to help me finish sanding the bubinga and if I make it I’m gonna try and do some filming on Saturday. Got a lot to do.
Looks like a lot of folks are getting quilt racks for Christmas! Big Bob did some, he did the octagon stretchers, a really good look. Click Here to View the Thread About Bob’s Quilt Rack Venture. I mentioned to Bob perhaps he should put together some wood kits for the quilt racks, he said he could do that so we’ll see what he comes up with.
The box elder is slowly dropping, can’t wait to turn it and get back to my drying stuff.
I’m going to try and get the step back wrapped up and get it finished so everything is moving along, not quick enough to suit me but then again, a ton is going on.
I am planning to do the rail and stile thing when I film so hold tight.
Catch ya Later!