Well, yesterday I ran out of gas…no…not in my vehicle, ME! About 4:30 I was running on vapors, called it a day and went home to watch the garden grow. Tried television but well, let’s just say all I found that I liked was Sponge Bob and Scooby Doo and they were re-runs so I went and watched the garden. They had all that presidential stuff on. You know, those shows where one guy tells ya what they’re gonna say, then they have a guy that tells you what they said, and if ya did listen to the speaker, well, seemed like they didn’t even know what they were talking about, so how do the reporters? I don’t do politics.
Okay, glass pane doors. I use the same bit set-up to make my mullions as I do to make the door but they get a little small so using a coping sled helps in cutting the ends of the small pieces. I usually cut the ends first (tenon ends) and I usually cut a wider piece! The mullion I use is usually 1″ wide but after routing it looks thinner and gives a good cover for the shelf edges.
Cutting a piece that will give you 3 or 4 of the short mullions is a good thing. Gives you a good surface to index off of on the ends. Then after coping the ends, I always rip it to 1 1/8″, run it through the stile cutter, then come back and trim 1/16″ off each side. Re-run them. This insures any chipout is removed and I get nice clean cuts. I did a couple of photos of my “push stick” jig I use to run the short stuff. It’s pretty self explanitory. The notch pushes the piece extended over the mullion, holds it down, that simple.
Now, when I go to glue this together it can be a pain so I cut scrap plywood to act as spacer cauls. They help to position and hold everything in place. Very simple, very effective. Now, when ya get to gluing, go easy. You don’t want a pile of glue coming out of your corners. Get just enough to hold. Keep the majority of your glue on the tenon, not the “coped profile.” Now, no matter what you do, these are small glue joints. I wait till they are dry, then sneak in from the back and peg the little tenon with a round tooth pick, works great, just try not to drill through the front, it is easy to do, I know.
Once it’s all dry and done, I use a rabbet bit, set to 3/8″ depth of cut and “clean out the back” show you that tomorrow.
Okay, got to get at it. Unloaded about 400 bf of yellow pine 8″w x 15′ l for this kitchen tuff. Got in two 8′ long x 30″ wide bookmatched slabs of bubinga for an island top, tell ya more about that later.
Got to skim plane that pine so it can acclimate. I need me one of those batteries like the pink bunny has.
The box elder is still drying.
In case you have missed it, AceHoleInOne has posted his completed poplar with a cherry finish table on the forum. He did well and his table looks great, a little practice and knowledge can sure go a long way. Way to go Ace!
Sherri has been having fits getting the photos where she wants them in the blog so she is putting them all at the end until she has time to get everything figured out.